Friday, June 5, 2009

Symlin the missing hormone.

My new endocrinologist from The Cleveland Clinic has put me on a new medication to help me improve my Type II diabetes; SymlinPen; https://www.symlin.com/ an injectable hormone. This medication is something that a person with a normal pancreas produces. The hormone is called amylin. I am far from normal! So far I have been on the medication for two days and have seen a slight lowering of my BG readings and a decrease in my appetite. A side effect can be nausea, but I have none so far. I started out at the 60mcg dose yesterday and just have begun today at the 120mcg dose three times a day before my major meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I need to have at my meal at least 250 calories or 30 grams of carbs. That should not be too difficult for me to manage.

I believe it will take some time for major results. The good thing this medication does is that it makes me feel fuller at a meal, and I eat less, and snack less as well. That is a great miracle. But time will tell. I am still taking sliding scale amounts of Humalog ( 5u per 50 over 150, but if below I take 3u if over 80) and long acting Lantus at bedtime. I have not decreased any of those doses yet. I am hoping to decrease those amounts along with Lantus, but my FBG is till too high.

I am also grateful that I have health insurance as my pharmacy charges over $300.00 for a months supply (4 pens). I also but a box of needles as well. This is tier II and I pay $15.00 for each prescription. My plan is to switch to all pens, which will make my life more easier.

The other problem is that I have a major vitamin D defficiency. Normal range is 30-80, I have 17.5. So, I am taking 50,000IU of Vitamin D 3x a week for 3 months, and then 50,000IU once a week for probably the rest of my life. I am still awaiting the results of my tests to determine if I have Cushing's Syndrome.

No comments: