Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lost Nation Air Show Willoughby OH 12 July 2008

Here are a few images I took from a recent local air show this past weekend. Along with the various war birds present there was a WWII reenactment for US, German, Italian, and Russian soldiers. It was quite a sight to be had. One group who frequents the show was absent due to scheduling problems. I missed the US Nurses and their display. The WACS has a very nice display. The show was hampered by a lasting rain shower on the 12th lasting several hours. I took shelter under the wing of the Douglass C-54 "Spirit of Freedom" which participated in the Berlin Airlift in 1948. I purchased a t-shirt commemorating the 60th anniversary of the big lift. The purchase also enabled me to enter the plane and it was totally amazing and throughly restored to its original condition. One of the volunteer crew members stated to me that it costs US2000 dollars to fly for one hour. There was a B-17 "Flying Fortress" and B-25 "Mitchell" on display as well and were offering rides at a cost of US400 dollars. The MiG-17 buzzed my home frequently on the 11th before landing. He was so low the Soviet insignias were visible. The AT-Stinson Reliant was offering rides for US60 dollars, and well worth it! I was able to speak to the very young and handsome pilot of the P-51 "Mustang" while the plane was ferried into the hanger during the downpour. I wish I had the skills to fly. Rounding out the show was the C-123 "Fairchild", CJ-6A Chinese Air Force trainer, and several other smaller planes. This show seemed smaller than in previous years maybe due to the price of fuel, that is my best guess. I along with my daughter enjoyed the show and am looking forward to the Cleveland National Air Show this Labor Day weekend.





No comments: